Inter Nepal Geo Tours Pvt. Ltd.

Language :        


FAQs : Frequently Asked Question

What kind of weather can I expect in Nepal?
The weather in Nepal is variable from very hot to very cold. The higher you go the less it rains and possibility of snow increases. While the southern flat region (Terai) is very hot during summer. Please refer to the chart below for average temperatures in Nepal:

Month Minimum °C Maximum °C Rainfall (mm)
January 2.7 17.5 47
February 2.2 21.6 11
March 6.9 25.5 5
April 8.6 30.0 5
May 15.6 29.7 146
June 18.9 29.4 135
July 19.5 28.1 327
August 19.2 29.5 206
September 18.6 28.6 199
October 13.3 28.6 42
November 6.0 23.7 0
December 1.9 20.7 1

In what way can I make the payment?
We honour all major credit cards including MasterCard and Visa. You can make the payment by Travellers' Cheque also. However, we advise you to have some cash in US Dollars as well.

Are there ATMs in Kathmandu?
Yes there are numerous ATMs in Kathmandu. The main tourist market Thamel has an easy access to ATMs run by different internationally collaborated banks. They accept all major credit cards including MasterCard and Visa. Please note that cash is dispensed in local currency only.

Can I pay in dollars/euros in the mountains?
No, you can't. You need to have local currency for your personal expenses in the mountains. Please note that foreign currencies are not accepted in the mountains.

Do people in Kathmandu understand English?
Yes, most people involved in tourism can speak and understand English. Nepalese can speak a variety of languages eg. French, German, Spanish, Italian, Chinese and Japanese. Given notice, we can provide you with a guide who can speak your own language during your tour in Nepal.

Does Nepali Culture dictate a dress code?
No. Of course you are free to wear any kind of clothes in Nepal. There are no strict cultural codes of dress sense. But a conservative dress code is respected. We don't have a cultural dress code for tourists. But we suggest you be aware of your dress sense. We kindly advise you to go through the book: Himalayan Adventure Trekking Gear. The book advises on dressing and your equipment checklist for the entire trip in Nepal. The book has listed some sensible suggestions which can be found in bookstores around the world. Order the book.

Can I wear half-sleeve clothes in Nepal?
Yes, you can. Please keep in mind that you are among a society who mostly wear full sleeve clothing especially the women.

Is there malaria in Chitwan?
No, malaria has been eradicated totally in Chitwan and other southern flat wetland regions of Nepal.

Do I need immunization before I reach Nepal?
Yes, we advise you to get immunized in your country before you leave. For more information visit Lonely Planet/Health.

Is there any tax applicable in airports in Nepal?
Yes, there is. During your departure to domestic cities, a tax of NRS 170/person (US$2.70), to India/Bhutan/Pakistan/Bangladesh NRS 1335/person (US$21.20) and to the rest of the countries NRS 1730/person (US$27.50) is to be paid.

How can I help protect the cultural and natural environment?
The most simple way is to 'do as the locals do' and minimize the use of plastic bottles, canned food and rely on safe purified drinking water. Dispose of waste in the proper manner. Please discuss these methods with your guide during the trip. Note that we are aware that porters who do not work for trekking agencies also need environmental education - we are working on this too.

Is it safe to go into nightclubs in Kathmandu?
Yes. Nightclubs are safe places to visit.

When should I give a tip in Nepal?
Advice on Tips is always a sticky subject. Many of the workers you encounter on the mountain either in your lodge or in a tea-house survive on a tiny income, if at all. If you enjoyed a meal and the service was friendly a tip is a welcome reward. There's no need to be inflationary, but 10% would be regarded as a small meal tip. Your guides and porters will often work beyond the call of duty for the success of your trek. If you enjoyed yourself, then your guide and porter will have worked hard. Ask yourself if you would be satisfied with the price of a bottle of beer each day as reward?

Is it safe to travel by road in Nepal?
Yes. The main tourist centres like Pokhara, Chitwan and Lumbini are connected by good roads and all main routes are well serviced by tourist buses. However, roads to other towns for example Jiri and Dhunche are steep and narrow and only local buses are available. We advise you to hire a private jeep (4WD) to travel these roads safely. Typically tourist buses are driven with more care than local buses.   

With regard to the Maoist insurgency, is it safe to visit Nepal?
Yes. To date the Maoists have announced that they will not attack foreign tourists. We firmly believe that there won't be any unpleasant incidents involving Maoists and tourists. Sometimes and only sometimes, on certain Trekking routes, there have been reports of Maoists asking 'gate fees' from Tourists (usually 1000Rupees). But there have been no reports of tourists being injured, kidnapped or killed due to Maoist activities. As they have joined the political main-stream now, there’s no such a problem.

Can I buy Travel Insurance in Nepal?
Yes you can. But we strongly advise you to buy your insurance in your home country before you leave. Insurance cover incorporating helicopter evacuation is a must!

Do I need to register my name at the embassy in Nepal?
Yes, we strongly advise you to register your name with your respective diplomatic office in Kathmandu. If you ask us for the form provided by your embassy and complete the necessary information, we will deliver it to your embassy in Kathmandu. Don't forget to mention your insurance details on this form.

Can I hire mountain equipment in Nepal?
Yes, you can. All kinds of equipment are available for hire in Kathmandu.

Do I need to organize visa for Nepal before I leave home?
No. You will be issued with a 2 month tourist visa upon arrival at the airport immigration counter. However if you have bought your visa through the Nepal Embassy in your country, you will definately avoid unnecessary delays at the Immigration Counter on arrival. For more information on visa rules, please visit Nepal Immigration (At the Airport the current Tourist visa fee is US$30 for  2 months.)

Will you reconfirm my return flight?
Yes. We reconfirm return flights free of charge.

Are reliable Internet Cafes available in Kathmandu?
Yes. There are numerous internet cafes in Thamel and around Kathmandu. Costs vary and typically reflect the service available. Budget around US$1 for 2 hours use.

What kind of food can I expect in the mountains?
Often menus are agreed by local Lodge Management Committees. They print common menus and the prices are the same in lodges in that locale. Often continental and Western options are available. We advise you to try local dishes as well. If you are provided with a menu in advance and order early, your dinner will usually arrive when promised. Sometimes at higher altitudes fare is limited to locally grown produce. Though Nepal's staple, Dal Bhaat is almost always available. Choosing the same dish as your companion will also help speed the delivery of your meal.

Is it safe to walk alone in the city streets?
Yes. But being aware of your surroundings and the people around you is always a must - Just be Streetwise! If you are carrying valuables; cameras, gifts or large amounts of money, we advise you to return to your hotel by early evening to deposit them, before going out for late meals and drinks.

What is A Tea-House/Lodge?
Tea-House: Very basic hut style shelter with limited comfort (heating stove, common sleeping platform, etc.), and reduced service (basic food, etc.) - for example, popular on the Mera Peak trail.
Lodge: Comfortable Alpine style inn with separate rooms and facilities (toilets, etc.), and service (varied menus, etc.) - for example, popular on the Everest Base Camp trail.

Popular Destination..